Erythropoietin is also known as hematopoietin. Erythropoietin is a hormone responsible for formation of red blood cells, it is secreted by kidneys and it promotes formation of red blood cells from bone marrow. This process is known as erythropoiesis. Erythropoietin has many applications such as treatment of anemia, treatment of chronic kidney diseases, AIDS and it also has applications in oncology. Synthetic forms of erythropoietin like epoetin alfa, epoetin beta, darbepoetin alfa, epoetin omega and epoetin delta have developed due to the development in the recombinant DNA technology. Epoetin alfa and darbepoetin alfa are the most popular erythropoietin drugs. They form 80% of the total Erythropoietin Drug Market Growth.
Get Sample Report: https://www.marketresearchfuture.com/sample_request/1360
Amgen Inc. was the first company to invent epoetin alfa and darbepoetin alfa. The company patented these drugs as epogen and aranesp, respectively. Amgen’s patent for epogen has expired. This has led a lot of companies manufacturing biosimilars to venture into the Erythropoietin drug market. The global erythropoietin drug market is anticipated to be growing rapidly owing to the increasing prevalence of cancer rising occurrence of anemia and blood related disorders, patent expiration of leading erythropoietin drugs and favorable reimbursement policies and government regulations. According to a study published by the National Institute of Cancer in 2016, 1,685,210 cases of cancer were registered. Most of the cancer patients suffer from anemia which results into the rise in the need for erythropoietin drugs. The global erythropoietin drug market is growing at a CAGR of 9.5% during the forecast period.
However, high costs associated with treatment and risk of counterfeiting are major factors that restrain the global erythropoietin drug market.
Global Erythropoietin Drug Market –Competitive Landscape
The global erythropoietin drug market is observed to be growing rapidly owing to increasing developments of key players like Zydus Cadila, AstraZeneca, Takeda and GlaxoSmithKline which boosts the market growth. The key players in the market have adopted strategy to sustain its position in the global market through research and development and engaging in merger and acquisitions. These players are also focusing on innovating new therapeutic areas for the existing drugs and inventing new cost-effective biosimilars which will in turn increase the RD activities for the development of erythropoietin drugs.
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (Israel), Hoffmann-La Roche (Switzerland), Johnson Johnson (US), Kyowa Hakko Kirin (Japan), Intas Pharmaceuticals (India), Biocon (India), Emcure Pharmaceuticals (India), Dahua Pharmaceutical (China), LG Life Sciences Ltd. (Korea), Boehringer Ingelheim (US), BIOSIDUS (Argentina), Zydus Cadila (India), AstraZeneca (UK), GlaxoSmithKline (UK), Takeda (Japan) are some key players in global erythropoietin drug market.
North America has the largest market share in global erythropoietin drug market owing to the increasing population of people suffering from cancer and renal diseases. Additionally, technological advancements and government funding initiatives are boosting the growth in this market. North America is followed by Europe. Erythropoietin drug market in Europe is growing owing to the development of numerous biosimilars which in turn increases the frequency of their usage. Asia Pacific is the third largest erythropoietin drug market. It is also the fastest growing market. Middle East and Africa is the least growing market.
- Zydus Cadila is an Indian Pharmaceutical company. It is also the fourth largest pharmaceutical company in India. It produces a wide range of pharmaceuticals, herbal products, diagnostics, skin care products and various OTC products.
- In July 2017, Zydus Cadila, announced that its oral molecule Zyan1 which is associated with anemia is under phase 2 trial.
- AstraZeneca is a multinational pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical company. It manufactured products for chronic diseases like cancer, cardiovascular diseases, gastrointestinal diseases, infections, respiratory diseases, inflammations and neuroscience.
- In January 2017, AstraZeneca in collaboration with Fibrogen announced that its first in class drug Roxadustat for anemia and has cleared its phase 3 trials and will be filed for approval before the end of 2017.
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company is the largest pharmaceutical company in Asia. It is also among the top 15 pharmaceutical companies in the world. It manufactures drugs for metabolic disorders, gastroenterology, neurology, inflammation and oncology.
- In January 2017, Takeda in collaboration with Akebia announced that its drug named Vadadustat is in the phase 3 of clinical trials. Vadadustat will be an oral alternative for the injectable erythropoietin drug.
- GlaxoSmithKline plc is a pharmaceutical company. It is the world’s sixth largest pharmaceutical company. It manufactures pharmaceuticals, vaccines, oral healthcare products, nutritional products and over the counter medicines.
- In November 2016, GlaxoSmithKline announced that its drug named Daprodustat, the first oral alternative for the injectable erythropoietin drug for anemia has started with the phase 3 of clinical trials.
Browse Full Report: https://www.marketresearchfuture.com/reports/erythropoietin-drug-market-1360
Market Research Future (MRFR) enable customers to unravel the complexity of various industries through Cooked Research Report (CRR), Half-Cooked Research Reports (HCRR), Raw Research Reports (3R), Continuous-Feed Research (CFR), and Market Research Consulting Services.
Market Research Future (part of Wantstats Research and Media Private Limited),
99 Hudson Street,5Th Floor, New York,
New York 10013